Thursday, October 11, 2012

Homework for tonight...




Unfortunately, our classroom behavior during the unannounced fire drill today was immature, disrespectful, and irresponsible! I was appalled with how many students were using an inappropriate voice level, in the wrong line, and/or disrupting their neighbors concentration by hanging on them, pushing them, or running. We will not be a class that acts in this manner! Our safety is too important to let this poor behavior go uncorrected. I am not an advocate of group punishment, but the boys in our class did spend a small portion of recess (5-8 minutes) practicing lining up and walking out to the 'safe' area. In addition, the class has an English assignment of writing a dialogue between themselves and Mr. Krupa. Each student created a sloppy copy that included five pieces of dialogue explaining their behavior during the fire drill and when they returned to math class. My intent is that they analyze their actions and explain them to Mr. Krupa. Also, I'm asking that they rewrite this 'script' in a final draft form, show it to you, and have you sign off on it (PS___). Please review their words and actions to find out how they viewed their behavior. (See sample below)


Fortunately, a few students were acting appropriately, but I was unable to focus on who they were while reprimanded the others. If your child acted appropriately I would like you to recognize their good behavior and praise them for their mature actions. Others should not be so kindly addressed.


Thank you for supporting this assignment and expecting your child to act appropriately in any and all situations.




Sample of dialogue for poor behavior:






Student: "Mr. Krupa, I would like to apologize for my bad behavior


during the fire drill today."


Mr. Krupa: "I would like that."


Student: "I was running down the hall, shouting and teasing with my friend and not listening for directions from you. I'm sorry. "


Mr. Krupa: "What will you do in the future?"


Student: "In the future I will stay in line, not talk, watch and listen for directions."


Mr. Krupa: "Why is this drill and those actions very important?"


Student: "I might cause someone to fall or get hurt. We might get caught in the fire and smoke. "


Mr Krupa: "I accept your apology and I hope your behavior next time is perfect."