Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October Reading Contract

Reading Contract
For October

I, _________________________ will read at home every day and will keep a log of my daily reading minutes in my agenda. My goal is to read ____425_______ minutes for the month of October.

My parents will check my reading minutes and sign my agenda at the end of every day. I will return it to school daily so my teacher can check it.

I understand that to be eligible for an end of the Fall Festival / Black Cauldron Reading Celebration, I must read, sign, and comply with the terms of this contract.

Also, I will need to take a minimum of ____three or four____Accelerated Reading tests by 8 AM on Friday, October 31st with an accuracy rate of 80%. My reading range is ______________-_______________.

In addition, I will need to successfully complete five of the nine tasks listed on the back of this contract. My parents will place their initials next to the listed task after I have completed it.

Finally, I will need to create two Haiku poems centered around the theme of October. These Haiku poems must be accompanied with a visual display that can be put up in the classroom so I can verbally share them with my classmates and teacher.

________________________
Student Signature

________________________
Parent Signature

________________________
Teacher Signature

Note: Signed contracts are due back in school no later than ____October 7th____.

Please return your contract and I’ll photocopy it and give it right back to you.






List below the name, address, and phone number of three places where you and I could buy a costume for Halloween


Create an Autumn Crossword. You may use this web site to assist you or devise your own template http://www.crosswordpuzzlegames.com/create.html

Create a Fall poem

Research Halloween on the internet or in another resource format. Find out how this event began.

Research chlorophyll and discuss with your parents how it effects the changing color of a leaf.

Create an October Word Search. You may use this web site to assist you or devise your own word search http://teachers.teach-nology.com/web_tools/word_search/


Create a spooky Thumb Body cartoon with captions


Write down the words to a Fall song http://bussongs.com/


Read a news article about a local Fall event