Thursday, February 3, 2011

Greek Mythology

Just wanted to keep you informed after our meeting today. It went really well. The kids seemed really excited and most of them knew more than I thought they would about Greek Mythology. It is going to be a fun group!

The way it works... Teams work together to climb Mt. Olympus. There are 4 rounds of play. Each round includes the team members reading 2 myths, completing assignments that go with each myth and then as a team completing two obstacles before they can move on to the next round. The 4th round includes 2 myths with assignments but then instead of two obstacles, they will complete 1 Boulder Activity which is a bigger project that wraps up the unit.

The reason I am telling you... If the kids only worked on these things with me one hour a week, this could be a year long unit! :) So, as a way to shorten it up a bit, I am expecting all students to read their two myths and complete their assignments for each myth independently during the week and we will use our time together to discuss the myths and complete the obstacle projects and boulder project. I did tell them that I couldn't promise they would have time in school so they might have to bring it home and they all stayed anyway. If there is time during the day that they would work on these assignments or if you could take away some of their regular homework and have them do this instead, that would be great.

Thank you so much for sending me these kids. I am excited to see how it goes. My goal is to have the groups present their Boulder activities to classrooms so you can look for that as a finale of the unit!

Please let me know if you have questions. I forgot to tell the kids today that Myths 1 and 2 need to be complete by our next meeting which will be Tues. Feb. 22nd. Can you please pass that information on to them? Thanks again! :)

Laura