Monday, January 7, 2008

Example of a "How It Works" Paragraph Created by a Fourth Grader

How It Works

My " Christmas Light Keeper" works like this...
First, you need to create the body which is three spools put together. Th spools that I used were recycled. What I mean by that is if I hadn't thought of the "Christmas Light Keeper," the spools would have been trash and so thinking of this invention sort of keeps from adding more trash to the earth. The Crank is sort of like a handle, but we call it a crank. The crank is attached to the axle. The axle goes through the three spools, if I didn't have the axle there wouldn't be a crank, an axle makes things move. Now, I'm going to talk about the base. The base is made out of wood. The wood is hand cut. Before I cut the wood I had to draw out how many pieces of each size of wood would be needed, then I cut the wood. I put felt on the spools so that the felt would protect the lights. There is Velcro to attach the lights to the spools. You could also put beads or garland on the spools. You then turn the crank and it rolls up your lights. Then you just put the whole thing away until next Christmas and the lights don't get tangled, and then next Christmas just pull them off, and that's how easy the "Christmas LIght Keeper" is to use.